Tuesday, 12 May 2009

"Explain to us a God of love and so on and so forth...."


I got up from my business meeting, went to the telephone and my utterly crushed and broken wife on the phone said, "Wilfred, I had just wakened up to see our 9-month-old baby dead in her crib."...There was silence. I asked my wife, "Are you telling me the truth?" And she just sobbed her heart out.

As I was sitting in that train, heading back home immediately, I was an angry man. Two rather vociferous atheists ironically sitting beside me started to ridicule this other man next to them who was reading the Bible, attacking him of a God who had no concern for this world and the victims were so often children and so on...They asked him to explain to them a God of love and so on and so forth. I thought to myself, "yeah fella, go on, let's hear you answer that." He muttered and he stuttered and he stammered and did his best in this duel with this two against one, trying to keep up with their intellect.

But out of a flash, in all of my anger, with my eyes filled with tears, unknown to anyone of them, I looked to these two men and I said,

"Gentlemen, you want to know what kind of a God loves you?

I'll tell you.

He gave his son.

To die.

On a cross.

For you.

That's the kind of God who loves you."


- Wilfred Hawsons

No comments: