Sunday, 26 May 2013

Rant: Water it, or leave it

"If you think the grass is greener on the other side, maybe it's time to water the grass you're standing on." - Anon.

...and to that I add, you can also leave it.

I am growing increasingly impatient of people who wouldn't stop harking on about how much they hate Hong Kong [or wherever they're living at this current moment], constantly complaining about how this sucks or how that doesn't work properly or how something is insufficient or how something else pisses them off...and yet they still live here. 

We live in the 21st century now, where mobility (especially at our age and stage in life) is virtually unlimited, the choice of places to go is abounding and opportunities can be found (to a certain extent) everywhere. So why choose to be bitter and stay in a place where you hate with such passion?

The worst is when they try to impose their views on others, and they pick out all the undesirable aspects of the city, compare them to other cities/countries that have gone through a completely different history or has vastly different cultural heritage or geographical features, and then whine about how HK sucks because some aspects just can't compare.

 "I have no choice" is not a legitimate excuse. If you have the ability to be waffling on about it over brunch or over a $40 coffee or over a dinner table at a restaurant that's not a cha-chan-teng or if you are reading this, then you definitely have a choice.

So to them I say, either get out of my country, or zip it and embrace it and start doing something about it.

Peace.

"This sucks...I'm just gonna close my eyes and pretend I'm somewhere else"

No comments: