Wednesday, 10 July 2013

Super-unimpressed

Despite having heard reviews that the new superman movie Man of Steel was not very impressive, I still went and watched it, partly because I'm curious (later to have my curiosity punished by losing 2:20 mins of my life), and partly for the muscles. And I must say, the 4 seconds of Cavill's perfectly sculpted and chiselled torso was glorious. But the rest of the 2hr 22min 56secs of it was rather appalling. Here are my reasons why:

*spoiler alert*

  1. It's in 3D. No explanation needed. See previous rants.
  2. The "Love story" had no grounds whatsoever. All she did was listen to a short story about his past. Damn, I sure hope the people to whom I've shared a bit of my past with does think I want to start a romantic relationship with them (at least not all of them).
  3. Lois Lane appears out of nowhere: after Superman just flew to the other side of the city from where she was - ALMOST AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT - and killed the 'bad guy', Lois turns up right there and then, and gives him a hug.
  4. And how the heck did she climb over a glacier, wearing a beanie, in the middle of the freaking North Pole!? 
  5. Ridiculously tiring 40mins solid of relentless fighting and destruction and these non-earthlings being thrown through buildings, sometimes the same building twice 
  6. Music: sounded like someone accidentally sat on the bass super-booster / sub-woofer for far too long
  7. Or tubas on steroids
  8. CGI on steroids
  9. Minimal humour - in fact the ONLY supposedly "humourous" line in the entire film (where the lady soldier comments on how she thinks "he's kinda hot") - not even funny, and came out of nowhere, like they suddenly realised that the whole film was lacking in a crowd-pleaser-funny-line, and shoved it in there without much thought or context.
  10. The ideologies it is based on - nothing new (genocide, ethnic cleansing, exploiting scarce resources, end of the world...blah blah blah)
  11. Russel Crowe plays the "powerful man" character - nothing new
  12. THE WHOLE THING WAS JUST INCREDIBLY BORING. My (film-fanatic) colleague said it was like watching a cartoon. But a boring cartoon. He'd rather watch Dragon Ball Z.

If there's one thing that I did take away from this film is that: Krypton - supposedly thousands of years ahead of us in civilisation - was still governed by a political system that obviously failed abysmally such that it actually brought upon the destruction of it's own people. The lesson is: no matter how long we try and develop and try to find a perfect political system, we're effing doomed.

The other thing that I took away is: Hollywood films are a waste of time.

No comments: