Saturday, 17 August 2013

Rant: Flaking around

Maybe it's the heat and the humidity that's been suffocating the city centre but here's  another rant that I just can't keep to myself any longer.

Smartphones, and the destruction of social etiquette.


With smartphones, we are reachable almost anytime, anywhere and in every way. Plans and meetups however grand or casual can be formed in 2 minutes and carried out within the half hour, or changed or cancelled with just a few taps on our tiny pocket-sized devices.

But it feels that it's exactly this tight connectivity that we have, making communication too easy and too instant, which is causing a rapid breakdown of social etiquette - or what I like to call FLAKINESS (please refer to this urban dictionary link for a more all-rounded definition). This is what I mean:

1. Not responding

If I send out an email or a message specifically inviting a few people to something, I DO expect a response from everyone. I'm not talking about Facebook events that are sent out  to the masses and their mothers, nor am I talking about an invitation to an big event where headcount is flexible to the plus or minus twenty. I'm talking  about a personal, small private event, inviting only a select few, where headcount matters.  I'm not even going to demand any hellos and thank yous (even though that really ought to be a standard reply to an invitation) - but seriously, how long does it take to hit reply, and typing out a simple "yes" or "no"?

2. Unpunctuality and justifying it with a text

If we're meeting up at 3pm, I do expect one to be physically present at 3pm (+/- 5 minutes), and NOT a freaking text message at 3pm saying they'll be X minutes late or X-quarters of an hour late. The text or whatsapp message doesn't make me feel any better about awkwardly standing at a street corner or awkwardly sitting at a table by myself like an unwanted loner for 20 minutes, waiting for your incredibly SELFISH ass to trot along at your own convenience.

3. Not turning up and justifying it with a text AT THE LAST MINUTE

Quite self-explanatory, and this infuriates me a lot. How selfish can you be to cancel on someone last minute? What kind of friend are you if you just leave someone hanging like that? I won't even do that to strangers.

I'm not even making this stuff up. Very sadly, this is happening right now, regularly. Time is precious, and the last thing I want is people wasting my time. Not to mention the disrespectfulness caused. There's just no more motivation to organise anything anymore.

Related: Top 9 smartphone etiquette blunders

EDIT: I myself am guilty of all the above charges. I admit that. So change for me starts now.



No comments: