I am undoubtedly a very rushed person - what can I say? I grew up in Hong Kong, one of the most rushed most crowded and (inevitably) most efficient cities in the world. It has to be efficient to cope with all the people, and to compete with the likes of Singapore New York etc.
Similarly for myself, I strive to achieve efficiency in my life - I fill every waking hour with chores or friends or things to or do or buy, otherwise I'd feel like I'm wasting time. Snap it. Eat it. Speak it. See it. Buy it. Move on and do all those things again elsewhere. I'm a bit like this when I travel as well (my recent trip to Sri Lanka was nothing short of a whirlwind tour - more later).
But as I step into 2016, and looking back at 2015, which was one big rush of a year, I'm reminded and thus very tempted to try and slow down this year. While it doesn't help that I already have (at least) 5 trips planned for the next 5 months (for both work and leisure), and not to mention the hordes of potential visitors that I'll be getting again this year (whom I welcome very much! Please come!), this year I'm going to try to "live slow". Our culture isn't going to like it. My boss and colleagues are probably not going to like it - but I think there are ways to be efficient to but not rushed. Just gotta figure out how.
Wait...But why live slow? Won't we "live" more by seeing more, going to more places, meeting more people?
I'm never going to explain it more eloquently so read this:
What slowing down teaches you that rushing never will
http://www.christianitytoday.com/amyjuliabecker/2014/april/what-slowing-down-teaches-you-that-rushing-never-will.html#bmb=1
No comments:
Post a Comment