So a couple weeks ago 3 of the English teachers that I work with took Yee Chiang (my JET colleague) and I to this top notch sushi restaurant/bar for dinner (called 鮨仙 - 'Sushi-sen') for an amazing dinner. I forgot the name of what we ordered, but it was basically a 10-piece selection of all the 'deluxe' sushis in the shop. We sat at the bar, ate sushi, drank sake, were merry, chatted to the sushi master...until Yeech n I started to notice the type of people that went to these places..
...and that's when I realised how we, 3 junior high school teachers, a white girl and a singaporean dude, stuck out. Like a sore thumb.
At the beginning of the night, there were a couple of solitary salary-men, who drank like 4 beers in 20 minutes and ate quietly by themselves.
And then as the night progressed, the restaurant got a little livelier, with more salary-men coming in parties of twos and threes, some eating in the tatami-rooms behind closed doors discussing billion-yen business, some merrily indulging in their sushis and sakes at the bar next to us...
And then couples of rather old men and relatively young ladies joining us at the bar, the girl always perfectly made up, sparkling new jewelry, leaning towards her aged companion; the old man composed, looking like he has no care in the world, ordering the most impressive of sushis and most grand of dishes.
But I don't think that wasn't what made me feel just the little bit uncomfortable. Maybe it was the sake.
1 comment:
Hehe trust you to end up in a place like that... or a gay bar. :p Face!
Post a Comment