The title is a bit misleading since it was actually cloudy when I woke up and it still is. In fact, I woke up at 8:40am to a text from Hitomi saying ゆきー!!雪雪雪雪雪!!! (which translates as "snow!! snowsnowsnowsnowsnow!!!")
"Ughh", I thought. "My bed is warm. I don't care." But I got up anyway, looked out the window and saw beautiful white fluffy flakes flying and twirling down from the sky. It still is. None of it is settling though.
So early morning and heavy snow meant I couldn't go to the supermarket and thus had a lot of time to faff. Or catch up on the things I didn't do during the week, like watch Obama's inauguration speech.
WOW. What an amazing speech-writer and speaker.
I also had a chance to read John Piper's article titled "The President, the Passengers, and the Patience of God" (Thanks to Larry's post on Photizo).
Which made me look up videos on Piper's view on the election and abortion. Which then made me look up on Obama on abortion etc.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7847651.stm
I'm not sure what I think about it all. There's too much running through my head right now. But I do agree with Piper - we can never be certain when life starts, be it at the time of conception or time of first movement or time of first breath. We can never be certain whether or not abortion (however early or late) is an act of taking human life. But I also think it is better to be safe (ie not conduct abortion at all) than to err on the side of uncertainty.
This also brings in another issue, regarding how government and christianity (or any other belief system) or even simply morality should interact/be engaged with each other. How much moral responsibility should a government have? Where should society look to for moral guidance? What about the church?
On the other hand, shouldn't the church's main focus be on the Gospel, not on moral education? What's the balance between the two?
....So maybe snow and early morning text isn't so bad afterall. It got my brain moving. Sort of.
1 comment:
Hi Sam, bad luck on the snow not settling.
As for the dilemma on whether the church should focus on Gospel or moral education, I'd opt for the Gospel any day. But abortion is more than moral education, it is about saving lives; the reason behind it? Not that we are innately better than people who have had abortions, but because Jesus Christ has given us grace and called us to honour Him in this world. In some ways the scenario is just like CHristians in immediate pre WW2 Germany, they should have stood up to Hitler, not as a matter of political or moral education but for the sake of justice and saving lives...
There is a good article here by an anti abortion charity on the Bible & abortion & what we should do...
"http://abort73.com/index.php?/end_abortion/a_biblical_mandate_to_do_something_about_abortion"
(Thanks for posing the questions though: got me thinking!)
Post a Comment