Monday, 16 March 2009

Daily bread

At a church service a few weeks ago, the speaker spoke on Matthew 6:9-15, The Lords Prayer, with particular focus on the line 'Give us today our daily bread' (v11).

My mind wandered off for a few moments (as it always does, especially 'cause its quite tiring when trying to understand the Japanese as well as listen to Anniken sensei's English translation at the same time...).. it wandered over to Africa, picturing starving children who hardly even get a weekly bread, no clean water, minimalist living...

..my mind pondered over the reality of such a great gap in wealth and need between us (who have the privilege of even being able to read) and those who have literally, nothing. my mind got stuck on why I have so much, and I'm storing up so much, whereas so many others have nothing. 1 in 2 children live in poverty...! 1 in 7 have no access to health services. 1 in 5 have no clean water. 1 in 3 are without adequate shelter...(reference)

..my mind wandered across a spectrum of names of organisations, such as Christian Aid, Tearfund, Peace Corps...

..my mind then wandered over to a possibility of serving people with organisations like the above mentioned...it pondered over options of whether to simply support financially, or to actually go places and serve personally...

...my mind wandered back to the sermon, but was still thinking about what I was thinking about during that short wandering. And it has stuck with me since. I still haven't decided on anything. But I know something has to be done. Hmm.

No comments: