2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!"
says the Teacher.
"Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless." (Ecclesiastes 1:2) Solomon was so right.
I have the X-Factor to thank for this post.
I am humble enough to admit that yes, I have been chasing X-factor for the last few weeks, since they started the live shows with the final 12 contestants. But aside from the 1-hour-per-week of entertainment I get from the show, I managed to come away from it with something more.
Just type in X Factor or any of the contestants' names into google news search and you'll find a myriad of stuff about the shows and people. "CONSPIRACY" "FANS FRENZY" "FIX ROW" blah blah blah.
I can imagine such news splashed across the Sun or Daily Mirror's front pages on Monday mornings and sad lonely people clinging to every word and milking everything from it all.
But its so utterly meaningless. I can understand that some people may have up to a certain degree of interest in the lives of these not-even-popstars wannabes. But to make SUCH a big deal out of it, and how detailed these tabloids fabricate things, is nonsense. Who cares if a contestant was voted off because it was all scheming/fixed etc, or how some of them can't sing, or whatever romance is going on backstage.
And this is just a tiny tiny tip of a big big meaningless iceberg. And I don't just mean that the entire X Factor frenzy is meaningless. I mean there's SO MUCH meaninglessness in this world its ridiculous. It just really dawned on me somehow.
I apologise for my somewhat depressing rant.
No comments:
Post a Comment