Tuesday, 16 March 2010

Shakey Shakey

"Japan is one of the world's most earthquake-prone countries, with a tremor occurring at least every five minutes." ABC news.

I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like earthquakes here in Japan are getting slightly more frequent recently. On Saturday night, we were driving to the St. Patrick's Day party in Hitomi's car and we had just stopped outside the gate of the carpark to get a ticket to get in, when the car started wobbling side to side. I somehow thought it was the wind, since we were just talking about how cold and windy it was outside. I was enlightened afterwards by friends in the bar that there was actually an earthquake earlier that night. (It even put Fukushima in the NYtimes!)

I also heard that it was a bit of a worrying one for those in the bar since it was possibly the smallest and narrowest and crampiest bar I've ever been to and had the most dangerous set of stairs and it was packed full of people even in the upstairs area and lights and drinks and turn-tables were swirling around and did I mention it was probably one of the most fire-hazardous places I ever been in my life?

Then on Sunday, while sitting at home sipping some good ol' earl grey with Hezza and Shirlz, talking about the earthquake the night before, the apartment started to wobble and we clutched onto our cuppas a bit tighter, looking at each other as if to say "this is a strange surprise". It went on for quite a bit as well (probably around 15 seconds). I looked out and saw the cables swaying from side to side. The earthquake wasn't getting any stronger so we weren't too concerned or ready to leap off of our bums and under a table or anything.

...What was that rumour about some massive earthquake in Japan predicted to be long overdue and is said to come after more frequent tremours..?


Also, I was just thinking about which is the worst situation you could be in when an earthquake happens:
- on the toilet?
- in the shower?
- shampooing your hair?
- cooking?
- changing the lightbulb whilst standing on a chair?
- half way through an episode of 24?

1 comment:

Larry said...

Watching 24 on the loo