Standing on the platform with my friend V, clutching my heavy weekend bag, handbag and a riceball, I was looking for the right direction for the right exit I needed. But it wasn't there. I thought I knew Tokyo station pretty well. And then it dawned on me, just as the train disappeared off into the city, that I had got off the wrong stataion - one station too early. This wasn't Tokyo station. And it was 1:50pm - 10 minutes until the highway bus departed from Tokyo station. The next bus after that wasn't for another 4 and a half hours.
It felt as though a huge brick wall fell on me.
And one of those bricks that struck me reminded me of what I saw on TV this morning: that today's unluckiest horoscope is Cancer, which is me. I never believed in horoscopes and all that superstition - but I was starting to doubt those doubts.
V and I got back on the next train whilst cursing my idiocy and cursing the potential accuracy of silly breakfast show horoscope predictions. "Can you make it in 5 minutes?" V asked as the train pulled into Tokyo station. It was 1:55pm. I knew Tokyo station was big. But I wasn't content with submitting to 'luck' and my own stupidity. I dashed out of the train as I said "wish me luck!" to V and squeezed through communters and travelers and possibly knocking down small children as I ran through the station, wearing boots and a skirt and still carrying that massive bag and handbag and rice ball.
I got to the bus stop just as the bus station-master was telling the bus driver to get going. I was so out of breath that I panted "sumi..masen....nimotsu....onegai....shimasu" ('excuse me......would you please........stow this.......bag) and jumped on the bus and panted some more "yoyaku..shimashita...samansa...desu..." ('I made a..... reservation. Name's.........Samantha.)
So eat that, horoscope!
No comments:
Post a Comment