Saturday, 14 July 2012

Rant - 3D

From a revenue generating perspective, I completely understand why filmmaking corporations are slapping on the 3D shell onto all movies that are being churned out of their factories, because with 3D you can charge more, higher yield, more profit, get more obscenely rich.

But I was born in the 80s. I grew up watching 2D cartoons, 2D movies, 2D classics. It was in colour, therefore it was good enough. It still is good enough. No I don't want to put on extra glasses. I don't want to see spiderman throw a giant slimy lizard towards me. I don't want to feel like I want to reach out and touch the imaginary snowflakes when there really isn't real snow. I don't want to waste precious story-telling time on scenes filmmakers added in solely for the effect of being 3D.

3D does nothing to enhance the viewers' experience...perhaps except for movie-goers in HK (where all movies have subtitles), the subtitles are the only thing that is "consistently 3D". Yeah, because that's what I really care about. Eye-popping 3D subtitles.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You should watch Hugo.