Thursday, 12 July 2012

Rant - hold please

My morning commute to work consists of quite a lot transits - first I have to walk 15 minutes down the hill to the city centre, then I have to catch a 30 minute train out to Tung Chung, and then I have to take another 5 min bus to get to the office.

It's usually quite early when I walk down the hill, so it's nice and peaceful and pleasant (minus the waterfall of sweat drops during the vicious summer months). All is fine and well ("all" being my short-fused morning temper) until we get to the entrance of IFC mall (the mall above the train station).

By the time I get down to IFC, there's usually a considerable amount of people flowing in out of those glass doors. And about 57.8% of the time, the man or woman walking in front of me would have someone in front of them open the glass door, and the person in front of me wouldn't even extend his/her under-utilized arm to hold the door, nor would he/she look back to see if anyone is behind them, but (and this gets me boiling) slips through the remainder of the gap of the gradually-closing glass door.

Shouldn't it be BASIC social courtesy that you hold the door for the person behind, or take the door when the person in front has held it for you? Do I look like I care about the fact you're in a hurry, unless you are rushing to save your dying uncle inside the IFC parking lot who was just stabbed by aliens? Or do you really think I'll believe you when you say your arms are too sore from wrestling with mainlanders at LV over the weekend to hold the door open for the one person behind you?

Of course we weren't taught this in school, but did you need to be taught not to urinate/defecate in public, or not to shout at the top of your lungs inside public transport, or vandalize public property?

....Oh wait I guess my case doesn't really stand here

2 comments:

James Rothwell said...

I'd just like to say that your profile pic is amazing and looks like it's from a movie.

TheSillyAshy said...

I can so totally identify what with this..I think asians in asia really do not observe social courtesy at all. Similarly to your demographic. I need take a loooong commute to work. Getting to work is akin to going war. I need to squeeze my butt into the overcrowded train and there are always people who stand in your way and give you a glare when you try to move pass them...why are you standing in the way dude! I am lost over this..

anyhow, cheer up! it's the weekend...have a good one.