Borrowing an infamous quote from Jiang Zimen for this post. I gotta say that this oversimplifies my thoughts on Occupy which has been trapped in my mind for too long and is now being released in an alcohol-induced rant. But I don't give a rats arse, alcohol or not.
Let's first talk about who's fighting for democracy. How many of these protesters or so-called activitists have actually casted a single bloody vote at legislative council and/or district council elections, or even registered as a voter? If they care about democracy, why are so few of them actually exercising the existed (albiet limited) democratic power they've actually got right now? Why have so many people suddenly become so politically minded or aware?
Do people know how long it took existing democratic countries to actually achieve democracy? Why do people expect it to happen overnight or over weeks? I'm not an expert in politics and I know it's not realistic for that to happen.
I'm all for democracy. But I don't think democracy is as simple as 'one man one vote' for the election of the CE.
Demanding CYL to resign now achieves what exactly? And so what if we get universal sufferage right now? Who in our immature government is qualified to even think about running for CE, and a CE who would have absolute sovereignty over HK, without the support of China?
"Freedom" doesn't mean absolute freedom to be able to choose whoever we want. Freedom can only work within a properly established legislative framework.
Heck even America doesn't get "one man one vote" to directly vote for their president - "the leader of the free world", apparently (that's a whole other matter). People only get to choose from a few people.
Let's talk about the police. Honestly I think they've been very restrained, aside from isolated incidents. They've tolerated this whole Occupy fiasco for more than 2 whole months. They've been overworked, verbally physically and emotionally abused by the very citizens they're trying to serve and protect. They've had local and international press breath down their backs.
[to be continued]
No comments:
Post a Comment