Sunday, 23 November 2014

The insatiable bug...?

"Maybe it's because I travelled too much...there weren't a lot of surprises."

My mum just said that when I asked her how her trip to Japan was.

Granted, she is a very seasoned traveller. But this made me stop and wonder - will I become like this one day? I love to travel, and I seize every opportunity (i.e. I pretty much use up ALL my annual leave) to travel, and I'm always aiming for new places to go to and new things to see. In fact, my new years' resolution this year was to not travel to places I've been before (that failed). But I did go to a lot of new places this year, and each time, without fail, I was amazed and awe-struck by the new things I was seeing and experiencing.

But will this bug eventually become...unsurprised? Will the amazement die out? Am I one day not going to be struck by awe when traveling?

Or is the "bug" actually the motivation to keep finding places that will amaze me and take my breath away?

Or is awe-struckness in the eye of the beholder?

The Promised Land

...or did she just go somewhere really boring?

No comments: