Monday, 23 February 2009

Ahh...Kerosene...

In a country where there is
- one of the world's fastest trains
- world's most advanced robots and cellphones
- built-in sat-nav system in most cars

...there is also
- no central heating
- no double glaze windows
- no insulation
in schools and homes.

In the approximately 1600-sq ft school staff room, there is a grant total of two kerosene heaters. In the approximately 4'C + wind-chill winter, the whiff of kerosene as you step into the staff room means relief. I usually stand right by the heater for a few minutes until I start getting looks from teachers nearby.

Today I had to endure two classes with NO HEATING in the classroom because the heater in both classrooms had run out of kerosene!! Sticks and stones won't break my bones but lack of kerosene might!!

2 comments:

Larry said...

Maybe you should start working in a match factory?
Or a radiator show-room?

I can't believe Japan is so lacking in central heating. That is CRAZY.
In fact its Frolati! (the word verification seemed apt)

Justin said...

I'm quite surprised to hear that. In the big cities, it's really hot in the subway, in the department stores, in convenient stores. It's crazy! Japanese are so afraid of the cold, I can't imagine they wouldn't have heat in schools.