Friday, 1 September 2017

Convenience is killing us. Or just me?

If tap water is perfectly safe to drink, why does my colleague buy bottled water everyday? 

When I ask him about it, why do I feel appalled when he says "it's just one bottle per day, it's not going to impact the environment that much."?

Why do I die a little inside every time I see someone using plastic bags when it's totally unnecessary?

Why am I usually the only one among my friends that carries a reusable water bottle? And a reusable shopping bag?

Why do I feel like no one around me is the least bit bothered about how much unnecessary plastic we use?

Am I the only one who saves and washes and reuses resealable plastic packaging (from cereal or dried fruit packets)? 

I'd probably consider myself minimally conservationist, but definitely not "militant level". 

Is it really that hard to refuse a plastic bag or plastic straw? Do you really need it?

Just off the coast of California, there's a huge patch of plastic debris in the ocean known as the "great Pacific garbage patch". This patch is twice the size of Texas. There are about 3-4 such plastic islands in our oceans. 

There are 500 million plastic straws being thrown away by the United States alone every single day.

By 2050, plastic in the oceans will outweigh fish, predicts a report from the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, in partnership with the World Economic Forum.
Part of the reason is that plastic use has increased 20-fold in the last 50 years, and it's continuing to rise.
But we also don't reuse nearly as many plastics as we could, causing them to go into landfills that can then pollute the oceans...It's "equivalent to dumping the contents of one garbage truck into the ocean every minute."

Am I the only one (among my family, friends, community etc) that is actually genuinely concerned about all this? 

Do people just not know what's going on?

Or they know, but, and this is the scary part, don't care enough to change their habits? 

How can knowing something as appalling as this not make one change just even a tiny bit of their habits?

x

No comments: