Thursday, 5 August 2010

Whirlwind @@@@@

Since landing into Heathrow (and then subsequently Manchester) last Wednesday, I've been whirling around Britain (with a few days of quiet recharge at my grandpa's internet-less house).

So after a mega massive lunch with Grandpa and his friend and my uncle and aunt on Wednesday (yesterday), I hopped on a non-stop train bound for London. A friend from Uni met me at the station and very kindly (and probably pain-stakingly) lugged my 30kg suitcase from Euston to Russell Square; we dropped off my luggage in my student accommodation room, and came back out to meet two others for dinner and drinks.

Today - with my trusty *laminated* London sightseeing map, I walked from Russell Square to Farringdon for a morning Starbucks chai tea latte with a friend I hadn't seen for over two years. We talked about PhDs, boys, old friends, and reminisced our old Bristol days (we went to seperate boarding schools in Bristol). Then I strolled along the London wall towards Liverpool Street, met another friend, had lunch, we walked to Shoreditch, discovered there was nothing there except for homeless people and crummy cars, so hopped on a bus and underground to Oxford Circus. We abandoned each other after a spot of shopping to meet our respective friends in various places.

I always thought London was big, but it turns out that it was pretty small. I say this because I bumped into two different friends - one from church in HK and one from Uni (although I hardly spoke to him then) within 3 minutes of each other. (Oh and before that we spotted 'Fatboy' from Eastenders at the tube station in Liverpool St.) And then after dinner, I bumped into another Uni friend in the tube station as I was heading home.

Conclusion: London is beautiful in the sunlight.

No comments: