Thursday, 29 January 2015

Newb cheese among big cheeses

On your first day at work, hop on a flight to Tokyo please.

A rather atypical start to a new journey.

I was forewarned about this "baptism of fire" by my boss-to-be before I started..now I'm in day 4 in Tokyo / job and it all went by like a dream involving a rather noisy and fast-moving freight train.

In the last four days, I met about twelve dozen people, learned and forgotten many names, sat in meetings and taxis with managers and senior managers and directors and chief somethings and vice president of somethings, ate too much and drank more than usual with the boss and boss's boss and boss's boss's boss, as well as all their partner-airlines counterparts... To say "it was intense" would be rather an understatement.

Tomorrow morning I fly home.

And Sunday night I'm off to London for a week of education at the much talked about Waterside - HQ - as well as to meet a few dozen more people and collect another stack of name cards.

Can't complain though - I get paid even at this learning stage, I get to fly business class and expense all my overseas expenses, and I get to travel.

The only regret is not doing more shopping while here in Tokyo. But at least I'll be getting my St Marc chococro for breakfast tomorrow. #joysofjapan

No comments: